A competition for the
International Poetry Award “Bridges of Struga” 2016
Promotion of the World Poetry Day
The Struga Poetry Evenings and UNESCO have announced the competition for the international award “Bridges of Struga” 2016, for the best debutant book by a young world author.
The “Bridges of Struga” award was established in 2003, as part of the extensive collaboration with UNESCO, on the occasion of the celebration of the World Poetry Day the 21st of March, thus trying to stimulate, promote and affirm poetic works as one of the most significant creative spiritual expressions of mankind. Each year the SPE and UNESCO celebrate this day together in Paris, where the recipients of the “Golden Wreath” and “Bridges of Struga” awards are announced and promoted.
Previous recipients of the awards are as follows: Angelo V. Suárez (Philippines) 2004, Andrea Cote (Colombia) 2005, Marianna Geide (Russian Federation) 2006, Manua Rime (Belgium) 2007, Antonia Novakovic (Croatia) 2008, Ousmane Sarrouss (Senegal) 2009, Siim Kera (Estonia) 2010, Hiroshi Taniuchi (Japan) 2011, François-Xavier Maigre (France) 2012, Nikolina Andova Shopova (Macedonia) 2013 и Harry Man (Great Britain) 2014, Paula Bozalongo (Spain) 2015.
The competition is open until the 10th of March, by which time all manuscripts must arrive at the address of the Struga Poetry Evenings, or in an electronic form, according to the conditions stated below.
Conditions for participation in the competition for the award:
– Debutant books of young poets (under the age of 35);
– The candidates should send 3 copies of the book with which they are planning to compete in the competition, as well as at least 5 poems translated in English to the address of the Struga Poetry Evenings (P.O. box 109, 6330 Struga, Republic of Macedonia) or through the National Commission for UNESCO of the member state. The final date for book arrival to the address of SPE is March 10th 2016. The application may be submitted in electronic version to the address of SPE firstname.lastname@example.org. It is obligatory to send information about the ISBN number and the printed version of the book must arrive to the address of SPE no later than given deadline.
– The National commissions of UNESCO are invited to receive the applications and notify the Struga Poetry Evenings about that;
– The award includes a statuette, monetary sum and publishing of the book of the poet-laureate translated into Macedonian.
– The laureate will be announced on the World Poetry Day, March 21st 2016;
– The poet-laureate will be invited to participate in the edition of the International Poetry Festival “Struga Poetry Evenings”, in Struga, the same year (end of August 2016), where the award will be handed out during the “Bridges” Manifestation.
Struga Poetry Evenings and UNESCO
Struga Poetry Evenings