Promotion of the World Poetry Day in cooperation with UNESCO
The Struga Poetry Evenings Festival (SPE), in cooperation with UNESCO, announce the competition for the international poetry award “Bridges of Struga” 2022 for the best debut book by a young author.
The Bridges of Struga award was established in 2003, as part of the extensive cooperation with UNESCO, on the occasion of the World Poetry Day – 21 st of March, in an attempt to stimulate, promote and affirm works of poetry as one of the most significant creative expressions of humanity. Every year, the SPE and UNESCO celebrate this day together with official announcement of the names of the recipients of the “Golden Wreath” and the “Bridges of Struga” Awards.
Previous “Bridges of Struga” Award recipients are: Angelo V. Suárez (Philippines) 2004, Andrea Cote (Colombia) 2005, Marianna Geide (Russian Federation) 2006, Manua Rime (Belgium) 2007, Antonia Novakovic (Croatia) 2008, Ousmane Sarrouss (Senegal) 2009, Siim Kera (Estonia) 2010, Hiroshi Taniuchi (Japan) 2011, François-Xavier Maigre (France) 2012, Nikolina Andova Shopova (Macedonia) 2013, Harry Man (Great Britain) 2014, Paula Bozalongo (Spain) 2015, Runa Svetlikova (Belgium) 2016, Goran
Čolakhodžić (Croatia) 2017, Pauli Tapio (Finland) 2018, Monika Herceg (Croatia) 2019, Martina Strakova (Slovakia) 2020 and Vladan Krečković (Serbia) 2021.
The competition is open until the 20 th of February, 2022, by which date all books and entries must arrive at the Struga Poetry Evenings’ postal address, or in an electronic form, according to the conditions stated below.
Conditions for participation in the competition for the award:
- Debut books of young poets (under the age of 35). The debut books must be published in the previous two years;
- The candidates should send 3 copies of the book with which they enter the competition, as well as at least 7 poems fro the same book translated in English, at the postal address of the Struga Poetry Evenings (P.O. box 109, 6330 Struga, Republic of North Macedonia) or through the National Commission of UNESCO of the member state. The books must arrive at the address of SPE no later than 20 th of February, 2022. Alongside 3 copies of the book (in a printed and electronic format), English translations of 7 poems from the same book, the candidate should also send a short biography in English. The application should be submitted to the e-mail address of SPE email@example.com (for added safety, the required documents should be also sent to firstname.lastname@example.org). Furthermore, the candidates should also send the ISBN number together with the required materials;
- The National Commissions of UNESCO are invited to receive the applications and notify the Struga Poetry Evenings about the entries;
- The award includes a statuette, prize money and a publication of the book of the laureate in Macedonian language.
- The laureate will be announced on World Poetry Day, 21 st of March 2022.
- The laureate will be invited to participate in this year's edition of the International Poetry Festival “Struga Poetry Evenings” in Struga, North Macedonia, in late August 2022, where they will be presented with the award during the “Bridges” event.
Struga Poetry Evenings and UNESCO
Struga Poetry Evenings
Brakja Miladinovci 5
P.O. Box 109
Republic of Macedonia
Tel +389 46 786 270