Struga Poetry Evenings
International Poetry Festival
Struga Poetry Evenings
Struga Poetry Evenings (SPE) (Macedonian: Струшки вечери на поезијата, СВП; tr. Struški večeri na poezijata, SVP) is an international poetry festival held annually in Struga, Republic of Macedonia.
About Struga Poetry Evenings
About the Festival
The festival began in 1961 in Struga. By 1966 the event turned into an international cultural festival. The Golden Wreath international award was established.
Golden Wreath (Златен венец), the main international award given to a world renowned living poet for life achievement in the field of poetry. The recipient’s name is publicized usually several months in advance. Miladinov Brothers Award (Браќа Миладиновци) for a best book published between two festivals. Bridges of Struga, for debutant book (together with UNESCO).
Besides festival events and activities, in past 55 year Struga Poetry Evenings developed extensive publishing activity. Struga Poetry Evenings each year publish representational book of poetry by the winner of the award Golden Wreath in the original language and translated in Macedonian.
- IN MEMORIAM: One of the most significant Macedonian and internationally acclaimed poets, Bogomil Gjuzel, has passed away on the 22 nd of April in Skopje, aged 82Почина еден од најзначајните македонски и меѓународно ценети поети, Богомил …
- In memoriam: Justo Jorge Padron (1.10.1943 – 11.04.2021)Големиот светски поет лауреат на СВП за 1990 год. почина …
- 2020 Bridges of Struga International poetry award competitionМеѓународниот поетски фестивал „Струшки вечери на поезијата“ (СВП) и УНЕСКО …
- Serbian poet Vladan Krečković is the recipient of the “Bridges of Struga” Award for 2021.Добитник на „Мостови на Струга“ за 2021 година, награда за …
- British poet Carol Ann Duffy is the recipient of the “Golden Wreath” Award of the SPE for 2021Добитник на „Златен венец“ за 2021 година, главната награда на …
- IN MEMORIAM: The renowned Polish poet Adam Zagajewski, recipient of the “Golden Wreath” Award of the SPE 2018, has passed awayЕден од најголемите современи светски поети, Адам Загајевски почина на …
"Immediate occasion for organizing the Struga Poetry Evenings, for continuing the centuries-old cultural tradition of this city, was the literary reading of a group of prominent Macedonian writers at the solemn part of the jubilee, held in Struga on July 15, 1961, on the occasion of the publication of the" Collection of the Miladinov brothers ". The idea came that there are all conditions to organize a traditional event with a festival character, which will be held in this city, as a review of poetic achievements in the Republic of Macedonia during one year. "
Jovan Strezovski, former director of the festival and its chronicler.